A Shibboleth IdP custom extension which enables auEduPersonSharedToken for Shibboleth IdP 3.x.
The following features are provided:
- auEduPersonSharedToken generation.
- Database integration for storing and retrieving auEduPersonSharedToken values.
IMPORTANT: The generation of the auEduPersonSharedToken relies on the user's identifier (sourceAttributeID),
the IdP's Entity ID and the private seed (salt). Change of the inputs will change the auEduPersonSharedToken value. This is likely to happen due to the change of the user's identifier, home institution, upgrade of the IdP and so on. In a production environment, the auEduPersonSharedToken must be only generated once then persisted in the institution's database for future use.
Note: Deployers using the AAF IdP Installer do NOT need to deploy this extension, it is already included.
- Shibboleth IdP 3.x operating with Java 8 or later.
- A database for auEduPersonSharedToken storage. It is strongly recommended administrators configure regular backups and monitoring for this database. Loss of this data will disable federated access for your users.
1. Configure database
Set up your database with the following schema db/schema.sql.
create table tb_st( uid varchar(100) not null, sharedtoken varchar(50), primary key (uid) );
For example, to configure a local MySQL instance:
$ mysql mysql> create database idp_db; mysql> grant all privileges on idp_db.* to idp_admin@localhost identified by '<your_password>'; mysql> \u idp_db mysql> (Paste db/schema.sql)
2. Configure resolvers
Import the definition
xsi:schemaLocation="... urn:mace:aaf.edu.au:shibboleth:2.0:resolver:dc classpath:/schema/aaf-shib-ext-dc.xsd
Define the DataConnector
<resolver:DataConnector xsi:type="SharedToken" xmlns="urn:mace:aaf.edu.au:shibboleth:2.0:resolver:dc" id="sharedToken" sourceAttributeId="uniqueIdentifier" salt="Ez8m1HDSLBxu0JNcPEywmOpy+apq4Niw9kEMmAyWbhJqcfAb" dataSource="jdbc/DS_idp_admin"> <resolver:Dependency ref="..." /> </resolver:DataConnector>
Attributes (all mandatory):
- id: the unique identifier for the data connector.
- sourceAttributeID: used for computing the sharedToken — ideally a unique identifier that never changes.
- salt: a string of random data, used when computing sharedToken. Must be at least 16 characters. N.B. Once set, this value must never change. Please keep a copy of this value. This value can be generated with the openssl command: openssl rand -base64 36 2>/dev/null
- dataSource: the container managed datasource identifier. Please see the relevant application server's instructions for installing a JNDI datasource. Also ensure the specified JDBC driver is on the classpath of your application server. For example, to configure a MySQL JNDI datasource for Jetty:
- Place mysql-connector-java-5.1.35-bin.jar in /opt/jetty/lib/ext/
- Configure a JNDI Datasource
- Restart app server
3. Configure logging
Use the pattern: "au.edu.aaf.shibext" in your logging configuration to enable logging.
For example, Shibboleth's $IDP_HOME/conf/logback.xml can use the configuration:
<logger name="au.edu.aaf.shibext" level="DEBUG"/>
Unless specified, the log information will appear in $IDP_HOME/logs/idp-process.log.
4. Obtaining the library
The .jar file is available on AWS S3 here: https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/aaf-binaries/jars/aaf_shib_ext/aaf-shib-ext-1.1.1.jar
5. Installing the library
- Copy the jar file to $IDP_HOME/edit-webapp/WEB-INF/lib/
- Re-run the installer sh $IDP_HOME/bin/build.sh
- Restart the app server